After a fun day on a snorkel adventure to Molokini or Lanai, nothing says "refreshing" quite like Hawaiian shave ice. What makes Hawaiian shave ice so good? For some, it's the fresh syrups, for others it may be the add-ins, but for most people it's the actual ice. Here are our choices for the best shave ice on Maui.
1. Ululani's (various locations)-- There's something about the silky smooth ice and the not overly sweet syrups that always have us wishing we ordered the next size up. By offering 45+ flavors and sugar free options, there really is something for everyone. If that's too many options for your sun-addled brain to comprehend, they offer numerous flavor combinations that are proven winners. Finally, to feel like a real local, add the mochi balls for extra texture and flavor! [Ululani's
2. Surfing Monkey Shave Ice (Kihei/Wailea)-- They moved from a shack to a full retail outlet in early 2017 and they brought along their house-made syrups. Created with all natural ingredients and no artificial flavors or colors, it's these syrups that truly sets Surfing Monkey apart from the others. If you need a pick-me-up, try the coffee shave ice made with 100% Kona coffee. Surfing Monkey Shave Ice
3. Local Boys Shave Ice (Lahaina/Kihei)-- Locally sourced ingredients like Hawaiian cane sugar and Hawaiian spring water puts the "local" in Local Boys. You can order your shave ice with fresh fruit for an even more authentic Maui treat. You can find Local Boys on South Kihei Road in Kihei and on Front Street, near the Banyan Tree in Lahaina. Local Boys Shave Ice
4. Island Cream Company (Lahaina)-- This one is for the kids. Why? Island Cream Co. will shave the ice, but they have a nifty mechanism that allows you to add your own syrup. That's right, you pour your own syrups, choosing from one of 40 flavors... or all 40! We sat and watched kids tentatively make their flavor choices, then giggle as they kept adding more and more flavors. As a bonus, the ice cream is some of the best on the island if that's more your style. Island Cream Company
5. Tobi's Shave Ice (Paia)-- Go for the shave ice, but stick around for the poke! Yep, this may be the only shave ice shop in existence where the shave ice is upstaged by the poke, but rest assured, the shave ice is really good. We recommend stopping by after a long day on the Road to Hana. Tobi's Shave Ice
Now that you've seen our favorite places, tell us where you like to go and what you like to order by hitting us up on Twitter @HIOceanProject and Instagram @hawaiioceanproject.
For this list, we've made sure all of the burgers are under $10. At some point, we'll do a second list for "high-end" burgers. But for now, we want to focus on affordable, good burgers. The other thing to note about this list is we focused solely on… Continue Reading
Top 5 Maui Vacation Sightseeing Tours
Maui is one of the most scenic vacation destinations in the world, which is why we get so many returning visitors. If you're tempted to spend most of your vacation lounging by the pool at your hotel or spending your days on the… Continue Reading
Whether you're just arriving on Maui or if you're headed off the island to destinations near or far, some of the best food on Maui is available near the airport. For this article, we tried to choose places with foods that can be enjoyed on the plane, but… Continue Reading
According to legend, Maui (for whom our beautiful island is named) set out to capture the sun, and slow it down, for his mother, Hina. She was a talented woman, who created cloth out of pounded bark (Kapa), but lamented that the sun moved across the sky too… Continue Reading
At its core, a sandwich is two pieces of bread stuffed with, uh, stuff. So what differentiates a great sandwich from a good one? Freshly baked bread is a start, but it's the "stuff" that magically transforms an ordinary sandwich into something memorable. Here are our five… Continue Reading
After a fun day on a snorkel adventure to Molokini or Lanai, nothing says "refreshing" quite like Hawaiian shave ice. What makes Hawaiian shave ice so good? For some, it's the fresh syrups, for others it may be the add-ins, but for most people it's the actual ice. Here… Continue Reading
It's been said that every hour is happy hour on Maui. But not every hour on Maui features special prices on food and drinks. That's what makes happy hour even happier! This is a list of our favorite happy hours on the west side. For a list of… Continue Reading
It's been said that every hour is happy hour on Maui. But not every hour on Maui features special prices on food and drinks. That's what makes happy hour even happier! Here is a list of our favorite happy hours on the south side. For a list of our favorite… Continue Reading
10 Fun Facts About Dolphins
Spinner dolphin sightings are common on our Lanai snorkel tours. We'll take you to areas off Lanai's gorgeous coastline that dolphin pods tend to favor. These charismatic marine mammals are known throughout the world as some of the smartest and most playful creatures on… Continue Reading
For many people, a romantic night on the lanai, with a nice bottle of wine makes for a perfect night. For others, part of the fun of vacation is going to a lively bar and laughing with friends. Here are five places on Maui that serve fantastic wines… Continue Reading
By now, you've probably heard there's a solar eclipse occurring on August 21. But you may be wondering if you can see it from Maui. We'll attempt to answer some of your basic questions...
I'll be on Maui on August 21. Will I be able to see the… Continue Reading
When you travel to an island locale like Maui, the last thing you think about eating is a hot dog. But not all hot dogs are created equal. One thing that separates Maui hot dogs from hot dogs available elsewhere are the local toppings we can offer… Continue Reading
Pie or cake? That's the age old question. Here on Maui, we're blessed with some amazing bakeries. Some do pie, some do cake and some do both. But today, we're focusing solely on pie. Sure these bakeries all have the standards, but when on Maui, aren't you… Continue Reading
On Maui, we're blessed with world class beaches for numerous activities. Definitely one of the most popular things to do here is to don a mask, snorkel, and flippers and explore our clear waters. Here's a list of some of our favorite snorkel locations, listed alphabetically.
One note:… Continue Reading
Snorkeling ranks high on the list of things to do when visiting Maui. But you can't just snorkel anywhere there's a beach. Well, you can, but you might not see more than the back of your hand. To help you get started, we've put together a list of… Continue Reading
Underwater Drones Expand Ocean Exploration
The Hawaiian islands represent one of the most biologically diverse locations on the planet. The marine life throughout our archipelago is spectacular, as you'll find on our Lanai and Molokini snorkel tours. But a lot of the most fascinating and mysterious creatures live at… Continue Reading
Maui is blessed with the best beaches in the world. A unique thing about our beaches is the variety of sands you can discover. Here's a quick primer on three different types of sands and where you can find them on Maui. Plus, we'll point you to… Continue Reading
Here on Maui, we’re blessed with some of the best bakeries in the state (if not the country.) You can find treats of all kinds, from cookies and donuts to local fare like mochi and malasadas. Here are our five favorite baked goods on Maui.
1. Chocolate and… Continue Reading
Because you need a good book to read at the beach, we’ve put together a list of our favorite books about Hawai'i and its people. Until we finished writing it, we didn't realize the common theme with all of them (minus the guidebook) is the resiliency of… Continue Reading
The #luckywelivehawaii hashtag exists for a reason. Whether you live in Hawai'i or are just visiting, here are 10 reasons happiness happens in Hawaii.The weather-- It never really gets too hot or too cold. When it does get too hot, the trade winds come in to save… Continue Reading
On Maui, we're blessed with beaches for all occasions. Whether you like to body surf, build sand castles or play with your keiki in shallow surf, Maui has you covered. Here is a rundown of the best beaches for every type of beachgoer.
Best Family Beach: Kamaole I
Kam… Continue Reading
New Glowing Shark Species Discovered in Hawaii
A new shark species from the deep waters off the northwestern Hawaiian islands has been discovered recently. Don't worry, this diminutive creature is less than a foot long, and you won't see it on our Hawaii snorkeling tours because it has been… Continue Reading
Hawaii has become a hotbed for excellent craft breweries. Here is our list of the top five locally brewed beers.Coconut Hiwa Porter (Maui Brewing Company)-- We're suckers for a smooth porter. This bad boy is like silk, if silk tastes a bit chocolatey, with hints of coffee… Continue Reading
In honor Macadamia Nut Day, we present you with a brief history of the macadamia nut in Hawai’i.
Originating in Australia, the first macadamia tree was planted, on the Big Island, in 1881, by William Purvis, subsequently followed by the Jordan brothers in 1892. Known for their sweet, rich… Continue Reading
© Copyright 2015 - Hawaii Ocean Project
Lahaina Harbor, Loading Dock Main Booth, 675 Wharf Street, Lahaina, Hawaii 96761